Happy Mother’s Day to all the momma ladies out there! I have plans to meet my family for a celebratory brunch tomorrow morning and THIS fancy vegan cake will be in attendance, whether they like it or not. You can find my own recipe for this vegan Earl Grey and lavender cake with “cream cheese” frosting below, while an image of what it’s supposed to look like can be found here. It seems as though my Pinterest Food Photography Inspo board has once again led me to believe that I am a master DIY-er, in addition to fueling my misconception that spreading frosting on a “naked” cake is easier than spreading frosting on a normal one. Alas…
Unclad baked goods aside, I’d like to wish a Happy Mother’s Day to my wonderful Mam! Before you scroll down for the recipe and photos, take a peek at a couple of things I’ve enjoyed reading and reflecting on this week:
Vegan Earl Grey and Lavender Cake
4 Earl Grey teabags (I had Harney & Sons Earl Grey Supreme on hand)
2 tablespoons dried culinary lavender
3 cups cake flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups almond milk
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 tablespoon almond butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease baking pans. I used two 9″ circular pans.
2. Bring almond milk to a boil in a small saucepan and steep four Earl Grey teabags until aroma is rich and color darkens. The longer you steep the teabags the more flavorful the cake will be—I probably steeped mine for about 10 minutes.
3. While teabags are steeping, mix oil, almond butter, and vanilla extract in a medium mixing bowl.
4. In a slightly larger mixing bowl, combine cake flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and dried culinary lavender.
5. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix thoroughly. Once combined, evenly divide the batter into baking dishes and bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Because I split my batter into two pans, my cakes were done in about 20 minutes.
6. Let cool, frost the layers, garnish, and enjoy!
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup of vegan cream cheese, softened (I used Toffuti brand)
1/3 cup of vegan butter, softened (I used Earth Balance brand)
2 1/2-3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Mix cream cheese, butter and vanilla into a large bowl and whisk or beat until smooth.
2. Add powdered sugar in 1/2 cup increments until desired consistency is reached.
3. Spread over cooled cupcakes or cover and refrigerate.
For those of you who are interested, I found this link really helpful in the creation of this recipe.