Happy Valentine’s Day! Okay, okay, we get it—Valentine’s Day is nothing but a commercial construct annually forced upon us by our capitalist society (eye roll). We know. But, in my book, that isn’t a good enough reason not to gorge yourself with the V-day-inspired treats I’ve posted below. Who the heck says you need a hot date to help you polish off six heart-shaped pie pops (thanks, Pinterest)? And as if I need to remind you that downing fruity, pink mimosas is by no means an act reserved solely for special occasions. Forget your romance woes. Instead, follow my lead and treat yourself and a friend to a light brunch, bumpin’ tunes, and bottomless drinks. Scroll down for recipes and to see how our morning panned out!
Mini Heart-Shaped Pies
Recipe has been paraphrased and is courtesy of The Sweetest Occasion
Your favorite pie dough recipe (we bought ours pre-made, oops)
Flour for rolling dough
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 large egg, with a splash of water
Jam of your choice (we used my homemade peach and raspberry jam)
Lollipop sticks (oven-safe sticks can be found at Michaels)
Heart cookie cutter
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Sprinkle flour and roll the dough until it’s about 1/4″ thick. Use cookie cutter to cut out hearts. Recombine scraps and repeat.
2. Spoon jam into the center of half of the hearts, leaving space around the edges. If you’d like to make these pies into pops, press oven-proof sticks into dough at the tip of the heart.
3. Paint the egg wash along the borders of the pie crusts and connect heart tops using a fork, creating a seal. Finally, paint the tops of the hearts with the egg wash, sprinkle with sugar, and bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Serve and enjoy!
Ricotta Toast with Strawberry, Basil, and Honey
Recipe has been paraphrased and is courtesy of Alaska From Scratch
A loaf of crusty white French or Italian bread, sliced and toasted
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon lemon zest
Several fresh basil leaves
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
1. Toast bread slices. In the meantime, stir together ricotta and lemon zest.
2. Spread each slice of toasted bread with ricotta mixture. Layer strawberry slices over top of the ricotta, followed by basil leaves. Season with salt and pepper, then drizzle with honey. Serve and enjoy!
Sparkling Pomegranate Mimosas
Recipe has been paraphrased and is courtesy of Joyful Healthy Eats
½ cup pomegranate seeds
6-8 sprigs of rosemary
1 bottle of champagne
1. Add 1 tablespoon of pomegranate seeds, a rosemary sprig, and 1½ oz of pomegranate juice to each glass.
2. Top with chilled champagne. Serve and enjoy!